Olivia does it again!

From A Field Journal: First up are these miniature silk and satin bonnets (4.5" across widest part of brim); they're based on this 1830s bonnet from the Old Sturbridge Village collection (the pale blue, deep rose and aged muslin ties on that particular piece are just gorgeous). To make a miniature version of my own, I drafted a pattern which you can download for personal use by clicking here. For more instructions and supply tips, read on.

Instructions: To begin cut the pattern from light-weight cardboard and cover each piece in material. I adhered the fabric by running it through my Xyron sticker maker and then applying it to the cardboard pattern piece. Assemble the bonnet using a strong, quick-drying fabric glue (I use Fabri-tac) and line the inside of the bonnet with cardstock for a clean look. I also added part of an oversized cupcake liner to create a ruffled look under the brim. Finally add your trims.

Trims: I didn't have any vintage millinery, so instead I had to be resourceful in the silk flower department (which I'm usually not a fan of). The velvety roses shown above began as brownish hydrangea petals plucked off an artificial stem. I dyed them with fabric dye and then cut out individual petals and refashioned them into rose blooms. I also found an stem of small fabric flowers that were suited to this project. Additional trims used: floral pips, grossgrain ribbon, faux bois ribbon, gold microbeads, iridescent sequins, ric rac. For leaves, I treated yellow-green silk with fabric stiffener, let dry and cut out leaf shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Janeites! Thank you for visiting our website. We invite you to comment on our content. Of course, Lady Catherine would believe us all to behave like gentlemen and ladies, so please let us not disappoint her.

Also, please leave comments in English, as only Lady Catherine, had she ever studied a foreign language, would be a great profient enough to read such comments. (Merci! Arigato! Gracias!)