Meredith sent this to me on Wednesday morning with the message "We so need to post this" and I agree we needed to share this, because really, who doesn't think of excellent boiled potatoes during awkward silences!
If you are in need of an excellent boiled potatoes recipie for your next dinner party, Foodnetwork has an easy recipie:
Boiled Potatoes with Butter
- 1 pound small new potatoes
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 2 to 4 tablesppons unsalted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- put the potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, and peppercorns in a large saucepan, add cold water to cover by about an inche and season genersously with salt. Bring water to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 5 to 8 minutes depending on their size.
- Drain and discard the garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Halve the potatoes, if large, toss with the butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm.
- Invite Mr. Collins and have an awkward silence and wait for him to compliment your cooking.
While you wait for your water to boil, here is the scene itself!